Monday, April 18, 2011

My Health Is Better in November: Stories of Hunting and Fishing in the South

Havilah Babcock (Author), Claude H. Neuffer (Author), Augusta Rembert Wittkowsky (Author)

“Good friends gave me this book when I graduated high school more years ago than I like to realize. I have read, re-read, and re-re-read it, and given a copy to my grandson in hopes of instilling in him some of my love of the outdoors.

The first time I read this book, and most of the subsequent times as well, I laughed until tears rolled down my face. Babcock eloquently paints word pictures of hunting and fishing experiences in the deep South of the early 20th century.

The reader will notice a much higher quality of writing than is commonly found in outdoor magazines today. Today, few college professors admit to such politically incorrect pastimes as hunting and fishing. The modern reader does need to remember the time frame in which these stories take place. Babcock was a product of his environment, and while he speaks fondly of Uncle Sessions and others eligible for membership in the NAACP, he doesn't use the politically correct terminology of today.

I have cherished and retold -- with attribution -- several stories contained in this book, and just remembering them can take 10 points off my blood pressure.

If you like to hunt and fish, or like someone who does, this book is an excellent choice.”
--From an Amazon review

No comments:

Post a Comment